Yet again it was time to create a new casing. This time it should be housing the subwoofers 10" and 12". While on the way to purchase the necessary MDF boards we got a little distracted by some light-colored marble panels with the very handy dimensions of 30,5 x 61 x 10 cm. Immediately we thought there can hardly be enough weight with an subwoofer and how much one of these panels weights we soon discovered when we put them into our cart. With a quick calculation we soon realized that those panels were a perfect fit for the smaller subwoofer but the bigger one needed bigger panels. Those were quickly located in the tiles section of the hardware store, where a package of burned stoneware with the dimensions of 50 x50x1.0cm was avaible for less than 20€ and weighted no less than 28kg. A quick recalculation of the dimensions of the wood and we were good to let the MDF boards get cut to size. There really is not much to say about the construction of the wooden part of the casing, just glue them together, sand them and mill them. In the smaller of the casings we put the temrinal in the top of the casing for easier access, in the bigger one we used the rear. In both cases we created a seperate compartment for the terminal. No insulating material was needed since the casings are too small for standing waves.
Apply black paint to all sides of the casing with a paint roller. It is very favorable to do the application of the paint in a garage or something similiar where small drops of color are not that big of an issue. The paint roller has the smoothest result and should thusly be used rather than a brush.
Without waiting for the paint to get dry, apply the granite effect paint to the front, back and lid of the subwoofers. Some hours after that apply clear clearcoat on top of that.
Since now all the time seinsirtive parts were done, we went to the next step and glued the stonework onto the bigger subwoofer. With a fine notched trowel we applied tiling adhesive. Take care to distribute the adhesive equally on the whole tile.
Afterwards firmly press the tile onto the casing and you are done.
The smaller subwoofer only got marble plates at the sides, since at the top we have the terminal. The same notched trowel was used here. Glue that was oozing out was removed with a wet cloth.
Back to: Design - Aluminium front Forward to: Design - Long leg